Windows Phone/Silverlight (SOLVED)

Dec 8, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Any chances to see a Windows Phone/Silverlight version?

Coordinator
Dec 9, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Hello, pls create tickets in Issue Tracker (if you want both - then two tickets). If the wish for having that will be high (voting), it will be done ;) It is doable, I even started but it takes suprisingly lot of the time, so I skipped it for now.

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:33 AM
jacek wrote:

It is doable, I even started but it takes suprisingly lot of the time, so I skipped it for now.

That is interesting - what is the difficulty? I don't mind having a look at the source code if I could help. Do you have a branch or anything of the sort of that version?

Erik.

Coordinator
Dec 10, 2012 at 6:13 AM

I'm waiting now for moving NDatabase from SVN to GIT on codeplex. After that I will prepare branch for this movement.

If you could help, that's great, I'm happy to support you in that :)

Problems:

- instantiation should be change (should be less powerful on both). 

- some set of types used in NDatabase is not supported on Windows Phone/Silverlight

- that's need to add Isolated Storage support instead of using file

- could be more, but I don't remember it now :)

Dec 10, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Any specific reason you are moving from SVN to GIT?

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 5:34 AM

Many of them, but mailny:

- easy branching

- speed of merging, easy auto merges

- local commiting, usefull for prototyping when you don't want send something to server

Some info you have there: http://git-scm.com/about/branching-and-merging

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:38 PM
jacek wrote:

Many of them, but mailny:

- easy branching

- speed of merging, easy auto merges

- local commiting, usefull for prototyping when you don't want send something to server

Some info you have there: http://git-scm.com/about/branching-and-merging

I am not sure if you already decided about the switch but having used SVN extensively on many projects, the branching and merging are as good as GIT. I am not sure if you will get any significant gain there. The only real feature you won't have with SVN is the local committing.

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM

I simply cannot agree with you ;) I used both extensively, and the way of merging for both is very different. 

Yes, that's decision is already made, I'm waiting for codeplex support to finalize that.

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:32 PM
Edited Jan 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Finally, I made decision to focus on main flow of NDatabase (.net 3.5 - 4.5 + Mono), and going further silverlight version of NDatabase is not planned now, up to having totally functional actual version of NDatabase. (the only exception from that is MonoTouch version/Mono for Android which will be researched soon)

Hope you understand my decision.

Thanks, Jacek

Jan 9, 2013 at 12:29 AM

Hi Jacek

I totally understand your motivations - NDatabase is an ambitious project. It is probably not so simple to make silverlight/WP version, especially to set it right and share code between all the flavors.

Thanks for keeping us up to date!

Erik.

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Things are changing so quickly ;) Version for Silverlight and Windows Phone was introduced (see limitation page on release notes). Regarding MonoTouch, research is still in progress.