Generic GUI

Jun 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM
I'm not sure I understand how this works. I understand it as a way of storing objects and retrieving in the current app/assembly, but what if I'd like to open and read a database file from another assembly? Are the types stored in it as metadata somehow?

So basically, could a generic GUI be made to open and display data in a NDatabase file?
Coordinator
Jun 26, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Yes indeed, it is all about types. If you have shared library (shared types), then every type could be reused. NDatabase is going even further, because types (as long as they are compatible) could be put even to different libraries, or you could use different version of libraries with them.

Hope it will clarify a bit,
Jacek
Jun 27, 2013 at 10:34 AM
So to understand, you always need a type library (not necessarily the same one though) to read from the file.

What if all you had was a NDatabase file. Are any of the types stored in the actual file? Is the metadata stored WITH the data so that I could ready ANY NDatabase file without any external dependencies (other than NDatabase.dll)
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2013 at 6:32 PM
This what you looking for is probably document database (MongoDB, RavenDB). You don't need nothing more than db file to understand and use the data.

This db is the object database, which means it needs to understand how to construct your object, what is the scheme for it etc to create it properly in runtime, that's why you need libraries for objects which you want to store.

Regards,
Jacek