This project is read-only.

Adapting for use with Windows Phone ExternalStorageFile

Dec 15, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Interesting project! Just stumbled upon this while trying to find a solution to a problem I have with Windows Phone 8...

I want to be able to access a read-only file from the SD card and am required to use the ExternalStorageFile class in order for Windows Phone to allow me actual access to the file. I'm wondering how easy it would be for me to adapt this project to allow this. Any insights / thoughts?

I'd use NDatabase as-is to create the storage file containing 100,000's of png files, then use the adapted version on Windows Phone to read the file from the sD card.

If you're curious and want a bit more background, here's my question looking for a solution on StackOverflow. Also explains why I can't use SQLite due to lack of support for ExternalStorageFile.

Cheers,
Gavin
Dec 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM
Hello,
there is no existing support for WP8 nor W8 for NDatabase. I'm happy to support any one in effort to do such support, unfortunately my own research didn't provide desired results, so I skipped that (I don't have huge experience working with new Microsoft platforms W8/WRT/WP8, so I could lack of some knowledge to do that properly ;).

Doing that properly requires to change some core components of NDatabase, mainly to use async features (file storage layer).

Regards,
Jacek
Dec 27, 2013 at 7:33 AM
Hi Jacek,

Thanks for the reply - much appreciated. I've encountered some issues with the WP8 OS that have been discussed here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/15752463/issue-with-reading-file-on-windows-phone-8-sd-card/17355068

So adapting for WP8 might not be so easy anyway :(

Cheers,
Gavin